Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Breaking up Christmas

There is an American Old time music tune called "Breaking Up Christmas". Quick lesson for those of you not into traditional music ; songs have words , and tunes don't ( unless you are Liz Carroll ) , and tune writers tend to either be traditional, using place names or the name of the person who wrote the tune, or to be silly. I always put this tune name in the category of silly takeoffs on Irish tune names. One of my favorite Irish Tune names is ,"I buried My Wife and Danced On Her Grave." But today I am thinking that it should be an air ( generally sad, slow tune ) and rather than describing a drunken melee around the Christmas tree, is describing what I am doing- packing away ornaments which are fragile and which all have sentimental value - so breaking up Christmas. Sad, but time to get on with the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Especially if you have ideas or suggestions!